Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:55:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marcus Haebler      <mh@muenster.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world on FreeBSD-2.2-stable failed

Hi,

I just downloaded the FreeBSD-2.2-stable source to a directory
/data/cache/FreeBSD. Worked fine so far. cvsup created a src and
a sup directory for me. Then I tried "make world". Unfortunately
it broke after a few lines:

make world started on Mon Jun 16 23:38:56 MET DST 1997
 Making hierarchy
cd /data/cache/FreeBSD/src && make hierarchy
cd /data/cache/FreeBSD/src/etc &&               make distrib-dirs
mtree -deU -f /data/cache/FreeBSD/src/etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist -p /
mtree -deU -f /data/cache/FreeBSD/src/etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist -p /var

mtree: unknown group mail
mtree: failed at line 37 of the specification
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

As far as I can see make distrib-dirs in etc fails because it somehow
seems to list /var and create some kind of list out of it and mail
is not supposed to be a group in that list. What destination is the
DESTDIR variable exactly refering to? Anyway, the most important thing
is: How do I get the stuff to compile??? Is there any documentation out
there on this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus Haebler