Date:      25 Oct 2002 16:33:14 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Paolo <bloom_64@yahoo.com>
Cc:        postmaster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Returned message

Paolo <bloom_64@yahoo.com> writes:

> So guys, only countries with important FreeBSD contributors will be in?

a) That is *not* what I said.

b) "in" what?  Individual members of the mailing list can block
   whatever they want, and nothing you or I or FreeBSD.org do can
   change that.  The comment we're responding to was about *one*
   person who said he was blocking Interbusiness -- it's not as though
   it was the whole list.

> Seriously, we can't fight spam blocking e-mails coming from specific
> domains, or we end-up with everything blocked.

I agree in principle, but this battle is already lost.

> Let's attack ISPs. Here in Italy I can prosecute spammers as a new law
> is in place from some months ago.
>
> So far I've no more evidence of spam coming from Italian ISP.
>
> Please give me evidence and I'll prosecute interbusiness or whatever
> else

That's a good idea, and (I suspect) more fruitful in the long run than
running blacklists, but it won't solve your immediate problem.  At
least, not in the short run.

Meanwhile, before you get yourself further puffed up in righteous
indignation, remember that it's still speculation whether domain
blacklists have anything to do with your messages getting bounced.
There are many other possibilities.

Meanwhile, this is now off-topic for freebsd-questions, and should
move to -chat.

Be well.
        Lowell Gilbert