Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:51:16 +0000
From:      Neil McGann <neil@neilmcgann.co.uk>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA and 100Mbit NIC speed issues

 >At 13:43 25/01/02 -0800, you wrote: Neil McGann wrote:
 >
 >I'm seeing a problem with network upload speed using 4.4-Release when the
HD is in DMA mode. Basically the same as >problem report kern/32338, but
the possible fix doesn't work for me. Machine is a ASUS Cuple-vm mobo (VIA
PLE133), >400MHz celeron, Netgear FA311 NIC and IBM 60GX 60Gb deskstar on
ULTRA100. Network is full-duplex thro a 100Mbit switch. >Symptom is ftp
upload is very slow in DMA HD mode 5 and much faster in PIO mode. I see
up/down of a (approx.) 100Mb file at >50s/29s in PIO and 3m50s/33s in UDMA.

 >I have an ECS-K7S5A and an Amptron 830LM that have on board ATA-100 and
100Mps networking. I am consistently seeing >11MB/s transfers between the
systems. There are usually some shared IRQ such as the AGP and the 1st PCI
slot. When I >have an AGP video, I don't use the first slot.

Common thread in both my machines is a VT82C686B southbridge. I've
carefully selected the slots for no shared net/disk interrupts, but
something is really stomping performance on receive. All these 100Mb net
cards have comically small buffers, which I guess makes them really
sensitive to chip-set parameters and latencies.

It's interesting to watch the upload with UDMA disk - the first second-ish
of transfers is quick, maybe at the 2Mb/sec rate and then it tapers away to
around 450kb/sec. I've got a feeling that would be telling me something
important if I knew how the TCP/IP stack worked ;-)

Neil