Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:58:28 -0500
From:      "Fisch, Eric" <efisch@kpmg.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP Gateway Routing Problem

I am having what appears to be a routing problem with a PPP gateway and am
hoping someone can shed some light on the issue.  I have a small network of
windows/UNIX systems behind a FreeBSD gateway box.  The gateway box is
providing DNS and DHCP services to the other systems without any problem.  I
have tried to set up the gateway box to do PPP-on-demand for the entire
network with limited success.  PPP works flawlessly on the gateway box.
When I am on the "inside", however, I get nothing.  I am able to connect to
the gateway, but no further.  Interestingly enough, when I "ping" a system
from the inside box, I get proper name resolution, but "Host is Unreachable"
errors as well.  This leads me to believe that I have a routing issue from
the gateway to the inside boxes.  I think I am missing something in my
rc.conf settings.  Heck, if I had any clue what was wrong I would not be
posting.

Obligatory Diagram:

         ISP
          |             <- PPP on Demand (ISP assigned IP address of
a.b.c.d)
      FreeBSD gateway   <- DNS and DHCP servers to inside
(border.mydomain.com)
          |             <- gateway internal ip:  192.168.169.1
   ----------------
   |       |      |
  Win95   UNIX   Win95  <- all "inside" boxes  (all in the range of:
192.168.169.x)

rc.conf file:
   network_interfaces="ed0 lo0 tun0"
   ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.169.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
   ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
   ifconfig_tun0=""
   hostname="border.mydomain.com"
   linux_enable="YES"