Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:17:38 +0100
From:      "Thomas Seck" <tmseck@web.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [4.1.1-stable] Problem with traceroute and ipfw

 Hi all,

 I have encountered the following problem:

 I set up a slightly modified ipfw ruleset with a default deny, based on
 the "simple" ruleset from rc.firewall and opened udp port 33434 (the
 default source port for traceroute I thought).

 To my surprise I was not able to run a traceroute through it - the
 packets were always denied. Examining the logs I found out that
 traceroute did not use a specific source port for the outgoing queries.
 Even when I invoked traceroute with -P UPD and -p 33434 the source port
 was >35000. Each invocation incremented the port no. by one.

 What am I missing? I suppose I did not quite understand the way
 traceroute works - any suggestions are welcome.

 Cheers,
 Thomas Seck

 P.S:
 Please cc me or the list as I am not subscribed to -questions. Thanks!