Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:59:45 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        bf1783@gmail.com, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] GNU make 3.82

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 06:00:40PM -0600, Ade Lovett wrote:
> Throwing out a PR with "exp-run probably desirable" is not particularly
> useful, and shows a certain naivety when it comes to such wide-ranging
> changes.

This seems a little harsh to me.  OTOH, I think it's become much clearer
to me during this process that people think that iterating over -exps,
doing the analyses, and working with the maintainers (most of which has,
in the past, happened via private email, and is thus mostly invisible),
is a process that people don't understand, and thus don't "get" how
involved it is, leading to understandable frustration that "this should
already have been done by now".

I will state one more time that if I had it to do all over again, I would
not have picked gmake to fill up the empty slot I had on pointyhat-west.

mcl