Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 96 20:21:27 PST
From:      Ross Davisson <davson@ni.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Boot

Hi,

I installed FreeBSD completely through the Walnut Creek
CD-ROM, using the novice installation.  I installed it onto a
partitioned 850 MB drive that was not the master drive (D: on
my system).  The drive had (before installation of FreeBSD) a
300MB DOS partition, with nothing after that.  As I
understand it, the FreeBSD boot manager should be able to
support this non-standard boot.

When finished, it told me to restart my computer.  I did.
When I rebooted, before the "Starting MS-DOS" message, I get
the message:
NO ROM BASIC
SYSTEM HALTED

It boots fine from floppy disk.  By running fdisk, I found
that no active partition was set, probably causing the
errors.  Setting it to the C: drive made DOS work fine, but
no FreeBSD...

FreeBSD is somewhere on my hard drive--how can I start it or
get the boot manager to work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Ross Davisson

% davson@ni.net %