Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 02:34:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Bryn Paul Arnold Jones <bpaj@gytha.demon.co.uk>
To:        lilo <TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        Mark Hahn <hahn@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, groudier@iplus.fr, hackers@freebsd.org, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Comptition is good, flame wars are not. (Was: Re: Unices are created , equal, But ....)

On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, lilo wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
> > with Linux 2.0 coming up RSN, perhaps we, both camps, should come
> > up with a benchmark suite that is fair enough.  then we can run it,
> > and whoever loses will simply throw in the towel and join the winners.
>
> Or you could all stop posting this flame-bait noise, including the person
> who originated it.

You can either all use your own free unix clone (ie *BSD*/Linux/...),
without flameing all and sundery that x (that I use) is better than y
(that you use), (but if y is windoze, X is better any day of the week ;).

OTOH, you all could look at each others code, and see how that code's
performance compare in various areas: speed; realiability; conformance to
relevent standards (posix/rfc/ISO/...), or lack of for good reasons.

That way, maybe we can all get a better OS(s) out of it in the long run,
and get even more people involved, and start weening them totaly away
from Micro$oft's strangle hold.

I woulden't even mind if large portions of *BSD*/Linux/... became common,
that way you coulden't compare Linux's networking with *BSD*'s, because it
would be the same code, that way, all the people who really know how x
affects y, and how y affects z with TCP/IP, can tune it, and get really
close to the theretical maximums.

Of course the same goes for the SCSI subsystem ....

Oh well, we'll have to see what reading this makes in the cold light of
day ....

Bryn
--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.