Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:35:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        gclarkii@main.gbdata.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SNAP and NIS (passwd no work!!)

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Chuck Robey had
to walk into mine and say:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Gary Clark II wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've got a current machine here acting as an client
> > to a 2.1.5 server.  When I go to change a local
> > passord I get the following error:
> >
> > webserv:gclarkii# passwd
> > passwd: failed to create handle: RPC: Program not registered
> >
> > passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged
> >
> > Even passwd -l does the same thing:(
> >
> > Changing the password is the only thing that does not work.
> > All other parts of the NIS system seem to work fine.
> > I can also change the passwords on all of the 2.1.5 hosts just fine.
> >
> > Any ideas?  This is about to drive me nuts...
>
> Tried yppasswd?

No: passwd(1) will turn itself into yppasswd(1) when it notices
that you're trying to change the password of a user that exists only
in NIS.

I've actually discussed this directly with Gary and we got to the
root of the problem. It was pilot error. :) What Gary neglected to
mention was that a) he was running sort of an oddball configuration
(he was serving two domains from one machine, and yppasswdd in 2.1.x
doesn't handle multiple domains), and b) at one point he changed the
name of his NIS master server and neglected to rebuild his maps, so the
YP_MASTER_NAME encoded into his maps pointed at the wrong host. This
is why passwd(1) complained: it was trying to contact rpc.yppasswdd
on the wrong machine.

In other words, zee prolem, she is solved.

I think I'm going to fix the error message so that passwd(1) tells
you the name of the host it's trying to contact when it encounters
this problem. Hopefully this will make troubleshooting the problem
a little easier.

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."