Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:47:00 +0530
From:      Ivan Grover <ivangrvr299@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   PAM rules inside pam.d

Hi All,
I had PAM rules for my own service as below:

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required   /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required    /lib/security/pam_deny.so

This used to work properly in my older PAM libraries.
For successfull authentication, it used to return from  pam_stack.so as
system-auth has sufficient in its rules as below and it doesnt pass below
the stack to pam_deny.so

 auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

Now, after upgrading PAM modules (pam_unix.so, pam_stack.so..) and library,
It doesnt work,

To make it work, I need to remove the last one, pam_deny.so as  below.
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     pam_nologin.so

Can any one please let me know if you have seen similar problem.

Any suggestions/comments, please advice.