Date:      08 Jul 2001 21:58:19 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
To:        ups@lists.exploits.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NUT, genericups, and upsd.conf

I'm trying to configure nut-4.5.0 under FreeBSD-4.3-STABLE, installed
from ports.

The generic ups driver seems to start fine.  Invoked as
"/usr/local/libexec/nut/genericups -t 5 /dev/cuaa1", it reports:
,----
| Network UPS Tools - Generic UPS driver 0.50 (0.45.0)
| UPS type: Tripp Lite UPS with Lan2.2 interface (black 73-0844 cable)
`----
which seems to look fine.  The permissions for cuaa1 device is 660,
uucp:uucp.

I have the following in upsd.conf:

,----[ upsd.conf ]
| UPS tripplite /var/state/ups/genericups-cuaa1 genericups -t 5 /dev/cuaa1
| ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
| ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
|
| ACCESS grant monitor localhost
| ACCESS deny all all
`----

And upsd complains at startup, that:
,----
| Network UPS Tools upsd 0.45.0
| Warning: Data for UPS [tripplite] is stale at startup
`----
Searching the mailing lists suggests that this is a pretty bad
warning, so I won't mention how the other utilities from NUT package
fail to work: I presume that this is because upsd is not set up
correctly.

However, `ps' shows both `genericups' and `upsd' processes running
after this worning (they run as user uucp).

,----[ ls -ld /var/state/ups ]
| drwxrwxrwx  2 uucp  uucp  512 Jul  8 20:21 /var/state/ups
`----

As you see, the directory where the data file is supposed to go is
world-writeable, so I don't think that this is a permissions problem.

Would anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong?  The unit is a
brand-new Tripp Lite InternetOffice 500, with black 73-0844 cable (as
the documentation suggests).  The kernel seems to have no problems
with the serial port:

,----[ dmesg | grep sio1 ]
| sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
| sio1: type 16550A