Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:01:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
To:        FreeBSD questions list <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FBSD: Dial-out PPP only CONNECTs sometimes?

Hello, everyone.

I've had about 50% success with my dial-out situation.  I've taken the
best suggestions from *Pedantic*, various FAQs, the Handbook, and feedback
from people on this list.  I've been using

                        ppp -auto foo
                        route add default 10.0.1.2

to connect to foo.  Sometimes it works without a hitch, and sometimes
(like the last couple of days), after connecting, the connection is
dropped after about 10 seconds.  However, I can still connect from Warp,
so I know it's not the remote host.  What about this "10.0.1.2"?  Could
specifying *this* as the default route (my provider dynamically assigns my
IP address after connecting) be part of the problem.  Is there one that's
fail-safe?  I just took this, I think, from the Handbook.  I was under the
impression that the assigned IP address would overwrite the one I
specified, or something along those lines.  When I do PPP manually, I get
"dial OK" and then "switching to packet mode".  Then, the connection dies.

I'm dialing out of 2.2.1 on a USR Sportster (gasp!) 14400.  My machine
is not connected to any network.  When it works,
it works great, BTW.  I evidentally just need to find a way to
consistently get an acceptable default route.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice you can give me!  =)  I appreciate it.

Jeff

   jroberts@ashland.edu  >>>>  Jeff Roberts  <<<<  strider@acm.org
     Public Key = http://www.ashland.edu/~jroberts/txt/pubkey.asc
  NOTE:  I only respond to messages (1) from known senders, (2) with
      my name in the SUBJECT line, or (3) very specific SUBJECTs.
  Messages with SUBJECTs like "Hi" or "Question" will get deleted with
          the spam.  Empty SUBJECT lines get ignored.  Peace.