Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:41:38 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, Todd Hansen <tshansen@nlanr.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolv.conf

On Thursday 15 November 2001 20:47, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 05:43:49PM -0800, Todd Hansen wrote:
> > is there a way to specify the search domains for my DNS resolving. I use
> > DHCP and as such each time I boot my laptop in a new location the
> > resolv.conf file gets overwritten. Is there another place I can specify
> > the search domains so that I don't have to use the full domain name?
>
> You can prevent your resolv.conf to be (completly/partly) overwritten
> if you use dhclient.conf correctly.

Sorry for replying to such an old post, but . . .

An alternative which you may find useful is to supplement the run-time
behavior.  If you redefine the make_resolv_conf() function of dhclient in the
/etc/dhclient-enter-hooks file, then you can "grab" the info that the DHCP
server sent.  I do this myself because I don't want my /etc/resolv.conf
overwritten: I run a local nameserver and I always want to use it, but it's
nice to stuff away the DHCP-server supplied version of that file because if
my upstream nameservers change then I can easily see how I need to update my
named.conf file.  In my case they change quite rarely so my function is
rather simplistic, and if my nameservers breaks I have to update it's config
file by hand, but it would be easy to take this idea further and completely
automate the process by having the dhclient process automatically update the
named.conf file.

In your case, if I'm folloiwng your request properly, you'd really like for
the nameservers to be updated but for the search line to be left alone.  If
that's all you want, then the dhclient.conf solution probably meets your
needs (though this solution could readily be made to do the same thing, of
course), but for slightly more complex requirements, the enter-hooks is
useful.

Anyway, for anybody interested in doing something like this, here is my
/etc/dhclient-enter-hooks:

make_resolv_conf() {
  # Don't let dhcp reset my name server -- I set it myself.
  # But for info, set /etc/resolv.conf.auto to the auto-generated
  # values.

  echo search $new_domain_name >/etc/resolv.conf.auto
  for nameserver in $new_domain_name_servers; do
    echo nameserver $nameserver >>/etc/resolv.conf.auto
  done
}

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)