Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:02:21 +0400
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sed -i

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:21:33PM +0400, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
[...]
> If we've started to delete the pattern space, we should print the
> text in place of it because `c' is for `change'.  BSD and GNU seds
> have this bug, but Solaris sed doesn't have it.
[...]

By the way, I found myself w/o a Solaris account, but I was able
to build Solaris sed in FreeBSD quickly from the OpenSolaris sources.
All it took was downloading the following files:

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/raw/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/ucbcmd/sed/sed.h
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/raw/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/ucbcmd/sed/sed0.c
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/raw/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/ucbcmd/sed/sed1.c
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/raw/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/ucbhead/regexp.h

and issuing this command:

	cc -I. -o sed sed*.c

Voila!  (Their regexp.h offers definitions of its functions, not
just their prototypes, which made my task very easy.)

Perhaps other basic tools from Solaris could be built in this way
for the purpose of testing, too, in case one needs them but has no
Solaris account at hand.

Another $0.02 from yours truly. :-)

--
Yar