Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:27:56 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: wd, crash dumps and strange geometries (was: Re: bitten 3 times already. )

> you use the geometry for 15 heads the CHS addressing will be wrong and
> maybe this is what somehow caused the failure you saw.

I looked at where exactly the system puts the crash dump.  At the
*end* of the partition you give it.  With 15 heads you get to larger
cylinders (nearer your /usr) faster than with the correct 16 heads so
what happens I suppose is that it overwrites most of the start of /usr
due to taking the wrong geometry.

I am pretty convinced that using the same mode for crash dumps as for
normal block reads/writes prevents this kind of disaster.  Maybe some-
one can commit a fix?  Or shall I send a PR with my suggestion in-
stead?

Why was it that one put the at partitions end in the first place?  Am
I right when I guess it was so that one could enable swapping, do a
little bit of it and still get reasonable crash dumps?

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.