Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:44:04 +1100
From:      "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suidperl

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 06:16:49PM +1000, list wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what security issues there may be with enabling suidperl
> and what the best way to achieve this would be?

To enable suidperl, you can add "ENABLE_SUIDPERL=true" to /etc/make.conf
(see /etc/defaults/make.conf) and rebuild. chmod u+s /usr/bin/suidperl
will also work, but the suid bit will be dropped next rebuild.

As for potential security issues.. it could expose you to a local root
compromise; it's had problems in the past. The most notable example I
can think of is this one (read the thread):
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=119124+0+archive/2000/freebsd-security/20000813.freebsd-security

It turns out that FreeBSD was not vulnerable to that attack but illustrates
that there are risks.

Tim