Date:      Sun, 30 May 2004 21:35:11 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maintaing a seprate build machine for ports

> I use 'portupgrade -R --package' to make packages out of the ports
> that I want, and that does honor pkgtools.conf.  Then I can use
> 'portupgrade -arPP' on my other machines.

Thanks! For some reason --package went under my radar.

> > * I want to perform the builds separately from maintainng the used ports
> > on the machine used for the build.
>
> What is the distinction between 'perform the builds' and 'used ports'?

By 'used ports' I meant the installed ports/packages on the host that is to
become the build machine, but whose selection of ports might not be the same
as the live machine. If possible I would like to build the ports destined for
the live machine using a completely separate package databased, target
installation directory, etc. But the more I think of it the more I am
convinced that using a chroot/jail is probably the best way to accomplish
this.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org