Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:32:12 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>, Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

At 9:11 AM -0700 2000/9/5, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>  Even at 128 bits, WEP encryption is, at best, rather weak. The right
>  answer is to use strong encryption for everything.

	If I'm not mistaken, this is actually using Triple DES at 128
bits, so this is still decently strong.  The problem is that the
normal WEP key is only 40 bits long, which we know can be cracked in
a matter of only a few seconds.

>  OpenSSH is now a standard part of FreeBSD. Use it and stop sending
>  clear passwords over the net. Then you don't care about the security
>  of the link, only the end nodes.

	OpenSSH is good, and I certainly use it (and other ssh products)
where possible.  However, it is not a panacea, it cannot be used
everywhere, and if you can enable additional encryption at the link
level, then you should certainly do that.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium