Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 20:29:01 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
Subject:   Re: X11 font problem

5/5/2002 1:32:55 PM, Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>hi,
>
>i got x11 and seems to work ok appart from one thing.
>
>in many cases, it does't display characters correctly. for example
>if i run abiword and hit the about box, i can't read anything
>in there. all i get is little squares instead of characters.
>
>this also happens with xchat that i tried today. is there some
>known setting? or do i have to get a particular font from
>ports/x11 and install it?
>
>i was thinking to try all the fonts in there but they are quite
>large and would take ages to d/l from a 56k connection...
>
>thanx for your help.
>

>Regards,
>
>Bernie

What version of X are you running?  XFree-4 will be easier to do the
following with than XFree-3:

If you have a Win partition handy, copy the TrueType fonts (the *.ttf and
*.TTF files) from there to a TrueType directory you've created where the
rest of your X font directories live.  (If you don't have a Win partition
around, there are TrueType font sources on the Web.)  Then cd to your
newly populated TrueType fonts directory and

ttmkfdir > fonts.dir

(If you don't have ttmkfdir installed, it installs quickly from ports - it's one
of the printing ports, IIRC.)

Then set up your X config file to "see" the new TrueType fonts directory.
(There are a couple of good tutorials on the Web about how to do this.
As I said, it's easier - very easy, in fact - with XFree-4.)

That should provide you with the fonts your documents are calling for.
When you don't have the correct font, you see the little squares.

Jud