Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Hearn <Steve_Hearn@digicon-brs.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing serial line settings under FreeBSD

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Steve Hearn wrote:

> Can someone tell me the correct format of the stty command to
>  change serial line parameters.  (I'm trying to run a serial printer
> and need to make it xon, xoff and change baud rate).

Are you using lpr for this?  There is a printcap capability to set the
serial settings.  I think it's the `ty' capability.  See printcap(5).  I
use LPRng, a replacement lpr daemon, which uses a different syntax for
specifying serial setup, so I can't give you specifics here.

> Both forms are 'accepted' but don't actually change the baud rate.
>
> I've tried moving the rc.serial file to stop 'locking' style stty commands
> on
> the /dev/cuala0 locking device at boot time . Also tried putting the above
> stty command in a simplified rc.serial file.

Take a look at the bottom lines in rc.serial.

> Is there something else that is preventing me from changing the parameters.

You **must** modify the intial device, not the standard device.  When you
close the standard device, it resets the settings to the initial device's
settings.  So make sure you're manipulating the /dev/cuaia? devices if
you're goign to play with stty.  I'd recommend looking at your printing
system first and make sure it isn't set up to handle this already.  Serial
printers used to be very common, so most printing software should handle
it OK.