Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:24:10 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav" <smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

Gregory Sutter wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 03:04:00AM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > Gregory Sutter wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, this view is incompatible with capitalism.  That
> > > doesn't make it something to be reviled.  Most people who immediately
> > > ridicule RMS's ideas are never fully cognizant of their implications.
> >
> > Right -- anyone who disagrees with you is obviously too stupid to
> > really understand what he's saying, or too lazy to bother to
> > understand it.
> >
> > Did it ever occur to you that the rest of us may be fully cognizant
> > of the implications of his ideas and STILL reject them as crackpot?
> > Or, did it occur to you that WE now place you in the same category?
>
> I didn't say that you specifically fit into that category.  There is
> no way for me to know whether you, or anyone else on the list, had
> glanced at the FSF web pages once or twice, or was RMS's college
> roommate for four years.  That's why I stated it as I did.  You're
> twisting this as if it was a personal attack, which it wasn't.

You said this in response to my previous email; I had to believe it was
aimed at me as well as others.  I did not take it as a personal attack,
but rather as an attack on the ability of myself and others of similar
beliefs to intelligently perceive the intricate insights of RMSism.

> If you want to discuss the FSF's beliefs or the correctness of a
> mandatory donation to them for entrance to an open source convention,
> do so.  Don't assume, with an all-inclusive "WE", that everyone else
> on the list is backing your point of view, and _please_ don't descend
> to name-calling.

That is what we are doing, and who are you to be giving advice?  If
YOU want to discuss the FSF's beliefs or the IDIOCY of a "mandatory
donation" (look it up, the two words are mutually exclusive), then
argue the points of conversation rather than labelling your opponents
ill-informed, lazy, or just too dim-witted to follow the conversation.

And, DES, when I wrote "WE", I meant "WE who believe that RMS' ideas
on intellectual property are crackpot, and therefore those who follow
along with him must be crackpot too."  I neither know nor care wether
you are a member of this set, but will defend to death if necessary
your right to share your ideas with us.  ;^)