Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:35:48 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

At 07:06 AM 11/24/99 -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>Regarding the release schedule, does it really matter whether i'ts a
>release every three months or ever four months.  If it's that much of
>an issue, skip every other release.  IME, sometimes we have 3 releases
>a year, other times 4.
>
>If you're a CDROM customer, it's only $24.  $24 is not much to pay for
>good software!  If you can't afford $24, you need to focus on the real
>problems in your life -- forget FreeBSD and work out your personal problems
>out first!

What I find perplexing about this thread is that a) nobody is forcing
anyone to update to a new release x times a year. If you dont require any
of the bug fixes or any of the new features, dont upgrade.  b) If you are
using FreeBSD in a production environment for your business, $24USD x 4 (or
even x 10) a year is hardly a cost to worry about.  As a percentage of your
total cost, even $240 a year is zippo considering what your other costs
are.  We look at the subscription as a way to subsidize FreeBSD
development.  As we use the CDs less and less, we will probably drop our
subscription and just contribute directly via
http://www.freebsdmall.com/donate/ which is a great idea.... Now, where did
that company credit card go :-)

	---Mike