Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 11:08:43 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Blake <blake@sba.miami.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make kernel fails... help please

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 12:36:42AM -0400, Adam Blake wrote:
> I have a compaq 586 with 24 megs of ram.  I was trying to recompile
> my kernel to add support for PPPoE with the netgraph options that
> are required.  I ran into TONS of warnings that I have never seen
> before leading up to the kernel compile error-ing out and stopping
>
> I created a file make.output by using the following command:
>
> make > make.output 2>&1  			(thanks mark)
>
> I have attatched a copy of the kernel file RIVERTON along with the
> make.output file that contains all of the warnings.
>
> The make.output file is fairly large and I have notated on what lines many
> of the warnings and errors are located.

You can ignore warnings. They occur because the kernel is compiled
with ``-Wall'' which turns on all warnings. The ones you see are just
pointing what are possibly incomplete compliance with the ANSI C
standard.

> They are as follows...
> 13
> 30
> 92
> 144
> 180
> 234
> 246
> 254
> 294
> 425
>
> As I am not a programmer, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> My idiot friend keeps telling me to get Windows NT and run Wingate,

Well, I don't know your friend so I can't really call him an idiot
but..... :)

> I'd hate to prove him right.

No chance! Ask him the last time he got a reply from one of M$'s
programmers (although this isn't the case with me, but often the
person who replies to FreeBSD problems is the person who wrote, or
maintains, the code in question).

> Please Help!!!

OK, the fatal errors are nothing to do with netgraph or PPoE but with
SCSI devices:

[snip]

> device		adv0	at isa?
> device		adw
> device		bt0	at isa?
> device		aha0	at isa?
> device		aic0	at isa?

Do you really have all (or any) of these SCSI controllers (Advansys,
Buslogic, some Adaptec)? If not, then comment out all the above lines.

> # SCSI peripherals
> #device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required)

Any SCSI device requires this line so if you have any SCSI controllers
then uncomment it (this is the cause of your errors).

HTH

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie