Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2007 10:43:49 -0500
From:      "Jay Banks" <jay.quest4@gmail.com>
To:        "Mike Makonnen" <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting a script to run at boot

> Well, that's the problem then. The '--daemon' switch is misleading. You
> should get it to work as expected by adding a '&' at the end of the

Took me a little while to get that to work, but I finally got it.

> command-line. Just for kicks I installed it on my system and with
> the attached script and the following in my /etc/rc.conf it seems to
> work as expected (though I haven't tried running it on startup):

It did seem to work.

I would be interested to know if yours ran on a reboot, because
mine didn't.

Since it did seem to work like a daemon, though, and worked
from my terminal session (but still not on reboot), I got the bright
idea of running it from a cron job again, where I once again got the
error that fping wasn't found. So I copied fping to
/sbin (cp /usr/local/sbin/fping /sbin) and sntop just started
to work. So I tried it on reboot again, and it is actually running after
a reboot.

Hallelujah. A whole weekend taken up just to get a script to run
on a reboot. Good thing I don't have a life!

I really appreciate the help. I couldn't have done it without you.
I'm the kind of guy that really does try to figure it out on my
own before asking for help, but I wouldn't have figured out that
"&" thing at all.

Jay Banks