Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2008 16:27:46 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, Luis Medinas <lmedinas@gmail.com>, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Brasero on FreeBSD

On Tuesday 01 January 2008 04:13:14 pm Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:28:34 -0600, Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> wrote:
> >
> > Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> >> First, this is very encouraging.  I love it when maintainers make an
> >> effort to help port their application to another platform.  Thank you.
> >>
> >> Now for the bad news.  We have quite a few users that want to use
> >> brasero on FreeBSD, but we haven't had anyone step up to fix the
> >> problems.  Admittedly, I offered to look into this a while ago, but
> >> fell behind with non-FreeBSD work, and the FreeBSD hal port update.
> >> Here's were we stand with brasero now:
> >>
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/115240 : This looks
> >> like a problem with brasero overriding PATH for a Linux-centric
> >> environment.  mkisofs is found in /usr/local/bin on FreeBSD.
> >> Admittedly, I have not looked into the brasero code to determine if
> >> this is the case, or if this problem is still relevant in 0.7.0.
> >>
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/117364 : This is a
> >> bit nastier.  FreeBSD's cdrecord only supports the legacy
> >> bus,target,lun notation.  Our HAL exports this address via the
> >> block.freebsd.cam_path property, and I hacked nautilus-cd-burner to
> >> support this property on FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> If you have suggestions on these problems, I would be happy to get
> >> brasero up to 0.7.0 and working properly on FreeBSD.
> >
> > I didn't know what brasero was, so I wewnt to their website.  I found
> > that
> > the version number for their stable release is 0.5.2, while I see the
> > ports
>
> Which website? In the http://www.gnome.org/projects/brasero/ shows that
> 0.7.x is stable release.

Hmm, I see.  I was getting ready to jump on  you for not reading carefully,
but when I looked at the home page of the page I *had* been using, I saw a
totally differnt answer.  I'll give you both of them and maybe you'll see
what I mean:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/brasero/screenshots.html
(look at the download section on the right hand side, where it specifies
0.5.2 as the stable one)

http://www.gnome.org/projects/brasero/index.html
(this is the home page, it's probably what you used, and it says 0.7.0 at
nearly the same point as the other referenced page).

Well, this explains (perhaps) why the port wasn't updated: the port author
*could have* been fooled as I was.  Just so I either feel better, or can
castigate myself tonight, am I right, does that first page say what I said
it did, or am I just going nuts?