Date:      Tue, 28 May 2013 16:05:05 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Orit Moskovich <oritm@mellanox.com>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: preemptive kernel

On 27.05.2013 14:29, Orit Moskovich wrote:
>>From what I've read in subr_taskqueue.c taskqueue_swi, taskqueue_swi_giant and taskqueue_fast are all implemented using swi_add which calls ithread_create().
> Is there any performance difference between them. Is one of the above or ithread given to bus_setup_intr preferable on the other?

It depends on what you intend to do.  If it is a network packet
based work load then you want to avoid locking in the driver RX
path.  With MSI-X and a dedicated RX vector (per queue if you have
more than one, RSS) you can do a lock-free hybrid interrupt/polling
and life-lock avoiding RX model.

The RX handler thereby is split into two parts: 1) the interrupt
acknowledger quieting the interrupt until re-enabled (many modern
cards also support fire-once interrupts and you can omit this step)
and schedule the RX ithread/task; 2) run the dedicated (one per RX
queue) ithread/task and pull the packets out of the RX ring in a
while(1) loop with a maybe_yield() every so many packets to check
your quantum and send them up the stack.  Re-enable the interrupt
once no more packets are available.  When packets contiguously come
in you never get an interrupt and always stay in the RX loop.  The
maybe_yield() lets other processes run if you've used a full quantum
and returns when your next quantum is available.

To completely omit the locking on the RX path you must make sure to
prevent the driver from going away while the RX ithread/task is
running.  Also you have to make sure that nothing else is touching
the RX ring and other directly related data structures.  To stop
the driver the ithread/task and the interrupt handler have to be
torn down and drained.  When that function returns both are gone
and you're safe.

Pseudo-code:

error = bus_setup_intr(dev, sc->drv_irq, INTR_TYPE_NET | INTR_MPSAFE,
   dev_intr_handler, dev_intr_task, sc, &sc->drv_intrcookie);

int
drv_intr_handler(void *arg) {
   struct drv_softc *sc = arg;
   uint32_t status;

   status = CSR_READ_4(sc, DRV_INTR_STAUS);  /* not necessary on MSI-X */
   if (!status)
     return (FILTER_STRAY);  /* Was not for us, try next handler on shared IRQ */

   CSR_WRITE_4(sc, DRV_INTR_SUPPRESS);  /* only if not fire-once */
   return (FILTER_SCHEDULE_THREAD);  /* Run ithread/task */
}

void
drv_intr_task(void *arg) {  /* look mom, no locks! */
   struct drv_softc *sc = arg;

   bus_dmamap_sync(...);

   while (rx_pkts) {
     bus_dmamap_sync(...);
     bus_dmamap_unload(...);
     (*ifp->if_input)(ifp, m);
     maybe_yield();

     if (i++ > 32) {
       drv_rx_refill(sc, ...);  /* Amortize over a number of RX packets */
       i = 0;
     }
   }
   CSR_WRITE_4(sc, DRV_INTR_ENABLE);
}

bus_teardown_intr(dev, sc->drv_irq, &sc->drv_intrcookie);

I'm soon starting work to revamp the lower stack / driver interface,
to document the expected behavior of both sides and the best common
practices.  Also the proliferation of code-duplication for certain
advanced features will be tackled.  Both the RX and the TX side are
part of this project.

--
Andre