Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:19:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

:  I'm trying to come up with a comprehensive comparison that shows off
:the strengths of FreeBSD when compared to alternative operating
:systems.  In particular, I would like information about :
:
:    * Large BSD installations
:    * Performance advantages of FreeBSD
:    * Specific subsystems where we excel
:    * Other technical reasons why _YOU_ choose BSD.
:
:  The current work in progress is available at :
:     http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/
:
:  I want to create a comprehensive body of knowledge that can then be
:used to make fliers to hand out to Linux weenies at trade shows,
:published on bsdi.com and/or freebsd.org, etc..
:
:  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
:
:      Thanks,
:
:	 - Murray

    My recommendation:  Compare FreeBSD and Linux against Windows and Sun.
    Don't compare FreeBSD against Linux.  The plain fact of the matter is
    that FreeBSD and Linux are rapidly converging in regards to performance
    and reliability.  Anything you print that is true *now* is not
    likely to be true in a few months, or a few years.  The article will
    live longer if it doesn't get outdated too quickly.

    FreeBSD has adopted considerable technology from Linux and Linux
    has adapted considerable technology from FreeBSD (The theory behind
    their new VM management/paging system is based on FreeBSD's VM theory,
    even if none of the code is).   I've borrowed a number of things from
    Linux ... like the more efficient cpu synchronization in the 4.x mplock
    code.

    If there is anything we can say as a comparison, it's more general...
    the ports system and its ability to enforce reasonable filesystem
    structure, the fact that our distribution is a cohesive whole, and
    so forth.  I think we are still considerably better under heavy loads,
    and that is likely to stay true for another year.  Maybe.  Nobody
    has anything even close to Kirk's softupdates, but Linux has IBM's AFS
    and XFS under development (though, personally, I don't think XFS is really
    what Linux needs or wants.  Log structured filesystems have serious
    theoretical performance problems and are not suited well to systems with
    only a few disk drives to play with).

    On the flip side, linux will take us out to lunch on MP and parallel
    disk and network throughput and we won't be able to compete until
    probably 5.1.  I think our (BSDI's) interrupt thread technology is
    superior, but it is going to take a lot of tuning and optimization
    to make it effective (hence 5.1 rather then 5.0).

    I think the Linux kernel API is also finally starting to stabilize,
    so we have a very rosy future with our Linux compatibility suite.

						-Matt