Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 13:56:02 -0700
From:      Steve Carter <scarter@pobox.com>
To:        S A Malenkov <sam@star.spb.ru>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newtwork config

The 'ep' device handles most 3com PCMCIA cards, so make sure you have the
following in your kernel config (which you will if it's the GENERIC):

device          ep

Boot up your machine into FreeBSD with the card inserted, login to vty 0
as root then check that pccardd is running (ps -ax | grep pccard).  If
it's not then type pccardd at the unix prompt.

You should see some log messages telling you that the card has been
recognized and you should have an ep0 device if you do a ifconfig -a.

Now you can configure the card for IP as usual.

-Steve

* S A Malenkov <sam@star.spb.ru> [010203 10:34]:
> I buy Toshiba Satellite Pro 430 CDT
> but don't know how run network support with
> PCMCIA: 3Com EtherLink III LAN PC Card (3C589D)
>=20
> This is supported hardware, according
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html
>=20
> I have FreeBSD v.4.2
>=20
> I don't know how to find and setup Ethernet interface...
> $/stand/sysinstall
>     /configure
>         /networking
>             /interfaces
> give selection from next interfaces,
> but i can not find required
> 1.lp0
> 2.sl0
> 3.ppp0
> 4.sl1
> 5.ppp1
> but interface <e?> is absent 8(((
>=20
> can you help me ?
>=20
>=20
> PS. Sorry for bad English...
>=20
> -=3D Uncle SAM =3D-
> ICQ UIN 7214113
> Nu'vFLrDI{S=1E=B2y=A0v[h>LHUz&iJkyJR=0FZ+d=08UvSDvFLrDIyZcyU=1DCj=1BvW=3D=
v{ayU=1DjvMuI=B7vfH