Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:56:33 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:    Re: Clarification needed on Handbook: Tracking for Multiple Machines

Hi D J Hawkey Jr,
you wrote.
DJHJ> So, two machines use the same world, except that a laptop doesn't want
DJHJ> profiled libraries or games. Since the install is separate from the build,
DJHJ> the build machine's make.conf must _not_ define NOPROFILE nor NOGAMES,

If that machine itself wants those, yes. If you don't care for them (I
could never be bothered about either one), you don't need to build them, obviously.

DJHJ> but the laptop's make.conf _must_ define NOPROFILE and NOGAMES, such that
DJHJ> both are present when `make installworld` is run on the machine that wants
DJHJ> them, but they won't be installed when `make installworld` is run on the
DJHJ> laptop, right?

That should work, building more than you're going to install should be
ok, the other way round obviously won't work.

DJHJ> Second, two machines are of the same architecture, but they have different
DJHJ> CPUs: One is an Intel PIII, but the other is a PII. Will the world built
DJHJ> on a PIII be correct for a PII? Similarly, will the kernel for the PII
DJHJ> built on a PIII be correct for the PII, given the different variables and
DJHJ> settings in the two kernel configuration files?

Just make sure you build for 686. If that doesn't work, make it 586 (I
think the PI qualifies as 686 but I'm not entirely sure). I think the extensions such as
SSE etc are detected dynamically and shouldn't cause any problem.
In all my years of messing with builds, I never run into this problem,
so I guess it's pretty safe.

DJHJ> Finally, after briefly following the makefile chain, it looks as though
DJHJ> what is written for -CURRENT is backward-compatible to 4.5-RELEASE?

I don't think it is. 4.5 is OLD. You might not even find 4.9 to be
backwards compatible to 4.5, much less CURRENT.

DJHJ> /etc/defaults/make.conf doesn't mention KERNCONF; /usr/src/Makefile.inc1
DJHJ> does. Since /usr/share/mk/sys.mk sucks in /etc/make.conf, that should
DJHJ> propogate KERNCONF to /usr/src/Makefile, right?

I suggest you go for 4.9 anyhow. Then KERNCONF is ok. You can also
just supply it on the command line when doing your make runs.

Regards,
Gabriel