Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 11:35:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        noud@knot.nl (noud de brouwer)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: is there a sys.tar.gz??

noud de brouwer wrote...
> hi..cause of serial speed i'm swapping out a NetBSD/mac68k system for a
> FreeBSD v2.1.0 system..
> I just installed..no ppp driver in the kernel..

Correct, the GENERIC kernel doesn't have support for pppd.  However,
there is a user-mode ppp program (called 'ppp') which is supported by
the gerenic kernel.  Try 'man ppp' - that will get you started.

The user-mode ppp is a neat program, it includes all of the dial-up
facilities and supports dial-on-demand.

> so i started looking around for sys.tar.gz to recompile to get ppp.

You mean a kernel re-build, I take it.  For this you need the 'ssys.aa - an'
files.  These are cat - ed together to make ssys.tgz by the installer.

> I can't find that sys.tar.gz..is there a kernel with ppp enabled around?
> is there a sys.tar.gz around to ftp?? or do i need to get all the files??
>
> Hope there's someone around to help..it's sunday and tomorrow i've got to
> go to work again..so i'd like to get it up&running today!

Relax, help is on the way!

> ThanX in advance!!!
> ~n

I'd recommend the user-mode program, at least for your first cut at this.

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key