Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:15:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        Noone Here <oldtlhingan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cablemodem bandwidth sharing (2 cablemodems)

	Actually I've tried doing the same thing with 2 T1's, but to
little avail.  The trick is actually doing load ballancing via the two
external nics.  Then what you want to do is setup a single nic for the
internal interface.  Route the data through there and you're all set.  My
biggest problem I've found is that data goes out, and it's evenly
distributed between the lines, but on the inbound, it only uses the one
line.  Now if you had a lot of download  or outbound traffic, I can see
this being an effective solution, but I've never solved the problem of
inbound traffic.

	It comes in on either one line or the other but not both at the
same time.  I've never gotten it to work like it's supposed to.  Now if
you've got lots of small files coming in, it works wonderful.  But the
larger the files get, the more trouble you have.

	Now if someone knows a way to get the server on the far end to
split the data transfer and send it half and half via the two lines, that
would be awesome.  But most likely you'd have to get your provider to bind
the two connections together on their end so that the data flow was split
at the gateway and then rejoined on your side.  That works, but not many
providers I know go for that.  Unless you wanna back some big $$$.

	Just my 2c.  Usually if you do that or want to do that, they
usually want you to upgrade to a bigger package or faster line.  At that
point you will have to give them your arm, leg, kidney, right lung, and
your first two children.