Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:11:41 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>, Jeremy Domingue <jer@hughes.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 05:12:04PM -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> > 4) I know that the current build of FreeBSD is listed as development and
> > should not be used in a mission critical environment, however, what are
[...]
> Well, I consider the jobs that my systems do to be mission critiacal.
> I have a total of 6 FreeBSD SMP systems and have never had a crash.
> The only problem I

After yet another endorsement of -current, it may bear reminding
that it was _not_ very long ago that -current was randomly _trashing_
filesystems.  You should avoid running -current in a production
environment unless you need to.  If you do (and there seems to be
a fairly large number currently (haha) doing so succesfully,
generally people who need -current's features even though 3.0-RELEASE
is still being held back), then don't track -current regularly
(only upgrade when you have reason to believe that -current on a
given date is reasonably solid) and do follow the relavent
mailing-lists.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.