Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:38:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Administrator IPA <administrator@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Weird f77/PGIf90 behaviour in FBSD 4.7-RC!

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Chris BeHanna wrote:

Dear Chris.

The machine I tested 4.7-RC is at this moment the only system we use
for testing
purposes, all other system still run 4.6.2-pl2.

As I read this morning in the news, it seems that 4.7 get released these
days and I wonder if this problem would be fixed in that short time.
For that reason, I test several things on the specific machine before updating
our other production systems.

In the past I droped into harsh problems using on several production systems
a -STABLE version. But human being is capable of learning, I hope.

> On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> > [...upgraded a machine to 4.7-RC as of 3 October...]
>
>     Question:  why do you keep upgrading production machines right to
> the bleeding edge?  I'd expect a production machine to lag at least a
> few days behind, while you test on a machine dedicated to testing
> upgrades before you put them into production.
>
> > Now one scientist reports this weird error message to me:
> >
> > When she compiles a fortran program on any machine running FreeBSD
> > 4.6.2-pl2 with pgf90 or pgf77, she has no problem getting the right
> > code and a working binary. When doing the same on the FreeBSD 4.7-RC
> > machine, she gets after typing in the program's name to run it
> > 'Abort trap'. The code seems to be pure F77, so I tried to compile
> > the piece oft software with the FreeBSD native f77 compiler.  On all
> > FreeBSD 4.6.2-pl2 systems there is no problem, I get a working
> > binary.  But compiling it on the FreeBSD 4.7-RC machine remains the
> > binary unuseable with the 'Abor trap' error message. I applied a
> > 'truss' command on the execution, but on FreeBSD 4.7-RC I get
> >
> > 	process exited before exec'ing
> >
> > When compiling on FreeBSD 4.7-RC I get this compiler warning:
> >
> > /usr/lib/libg2c.so: warning: tempnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
> >

> > As a result I get the following:
> >
> > on FBSD 4.6.2-pl2 machines everything compiles right, on FBSD 4.7-RC
> > machines I get unuseable code.
>
>     What is the output of running the "file" command on the generated
> executable?  It sounds like the output from your f77 command is
> corrupted, and the kernel doesn't recognize it as an executable.
>
>     I ran the following on a 4.7-RC machine built from sources supped
> on 23 September:
>
> C --cut here--
> C hello, world
>
>       Program Hello
>
>       do 10, I=1,10
>         print *, 'Hello, world.'
>  10   continue
>       stop
>       end
> C --cut here--
>
> behanna@topperwein> f77 -o hello hello.f
> /usr/lib/libg2c.so: warning: tempnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
> behanna@topperwein> ./hello
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
>  Hello, world.
> behanna@topperwein> uname -a
> FreeBSD topperwein.pennasoft.com 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #0: Mon Sep 23 18:17:21 EDT 2002     behanna@topperwein.pennasoft.com:/raid5/usr/src/sys/TOPPERWEIN  i386
>

>     See if the hello program works on your machine.  If not, run the
> "file" command on the generated executable, and see what you get.
> [...]

MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)