Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 11:09:23 -0700
From:      "pan" <pan@syix.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need VESA video help

From: "Skip" <vze2j9fk@verizon.net>

> I installed 4.2-RELEASE a few days ago and managed to get everything
> working, except changing to a decent video mode.  I built a kernel with
> option VESA.  But whenever I try to change to any VESA mode, I get
> 'Operation not supported by device.'
>
> I can change to many other modes but none of the VESA_132x modes.  I
> have the 3 fonts loaded in rc.conf, and have also loaded them from the
> command line.

Just went through that -- the video chip was manufactured with a cutdown
VESA bios extension -- max supported mode in text was 80x25. In
particular it was an ATI rage pro turbo based 8mB agp card.

Solution was to rip the agp card out - dig out an ancient virge S3
plain vanilla vga card, insert and then vidcontrol got me everything
I asked for.

I guess text mode users are supposed to wither away if they don't
follow the yellow brick xwindows road.