Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 00:33:12 -0500
From:      "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
To:        "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Verizon Spam Filter Question

Jim:

I have said this a million times to my friends and Verizon "haters"..
"Verzion kicks ass as long as you don't have to call them."  I currently
have Verizon DSL and VerizonOnline is my ISP.  I have the what used to be
the "Platinum" package (T1 down/Half-T1 up).  I always get my full bandwidth
no matter what time of day it is and the only downtime I ever experience is
the rare hardware maintenance they do.  Granted it helps living 6,000ft.
from my CO.  I will probably upgrade to the 7.0M down/T1 up when it becomes
avaliable.

Verizon does not block ports, but there is a down side to that.  When
someone packeting you on ports below 1024 they can't/won't really do
anything about it.  They expect you to log it and then submit the
information to a "security" divison of the ISP who is supposedly to deal
with it for you.

The Verizon mail servers are very strict.  If you do not connect to the mail
servers with an IP that resolves to one of the Verizon owned domains then it
rejects it.  Although, there is a bright side.  If you buy a domain and if
you are fortunate enough to buy an IP for that domain, then just use a
FreeBSD server to be the mail servers.  They do a wonderful job.. as you can
see you are reading this e-mail. :)

Anyway, just MHO... HTH.

----
Jason P. Halbert