Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:28:31 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@galileo.edu>
To:        Jim Krenz <unixverse@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD QUESTIONS <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Program recommendations

Here's what I use:

Shell: tcsh
Text Editor: xemacs for serious writing and vi for editing config scripts
Email client: mutt

In tcsh you'll find very convenient to put these lines in your .tcshrc

set prompt="%B%m%b %~ %# "
set autolist=ambiguous
bindkey -k up history-search-backward
bindkey -k down history-search-forward

the first line gives you a prompt like

machine /dir >

the second allows you to use double tab for the autocompletion feature
(like bash).

the third and fourth lines allow you to recall history searching by the
first letter, for instance, if you type l and press the up key it will
let you select from the history all commands that start with the letter
l.

I like xemacs because it looks better on X and because it has a package
manager that lets you upgrade really easy. it has all the features that
emacs has. it's big though and you'll have to learn a lot. I use vi
because it's what all systems have and it's sort of lightweight.

I think Mutt is probably the best email client (it's not a graphical
email client).

regards,

-oscar

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 01:20:20PM -0700, Jim Krenz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have just installed FreeBSD 4.3, and am now attempting to figure out which
> programs to use for various tasks. I am completely new to Unix-like systems
> and the choices of options are plentiful (and somewhat confusing to my
> newbie mind). In particular, I would like opinions on the following three:
>
> Shell
> Text editor
> E-mail client
>
> I realize this is a slightly loaded question, as I suspect that everyone has
> their favorite program. But I am asking this because I am overwhelmed at the
> moment, and need some help to get started.
>
> My main concern is this: I don't want to spend a ton of time learning one
> program, and then six weeks later, find out that there is a better program
> that was already available. I don't care if a program is harder to initially
> learn--I just want the one that will serve me the best for the long term.
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> Jim
> Jim Krenz
> unixverse@mac.com

pgp public key: finger obonilla@galileo.edu
pgp fingerprint: 9735 2F52 D499 17E2 D03B  5960 241D 09EA 349F 923E