Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:49:30 -0700
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@freebsd.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, John LoVerso <loverso@infolibria.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mktemp() patch

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 12:58:27PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Bad example. Not _all_ filenames but temp. ones only which allows to run
> > FreeBSD binary in MSDOS FS with MSDOS files.
>
> The point is the same. Files created by FreeBSD binaries during the course
> of operation don't conform to an 8.3 monocase naming scheme (think of
> dotfiles for example). I don't believe there's such a thing as a lowest
> common denominator of file system naming conventions - either a filesystem
> can support UFS names (perhaps through a translation later) or it's not
> suitable for running FreeBSD from.

Dotfiles usually created in user's home directory which is in UFS.
What I mean is simple processing using temp files, consider running zip
or unzip binaries. Proper way will be to sense FS name/abilitites and tune
available charset in accordance with them.

> > mktemp() makes temp files in any directory including current one.
>
> Yes, but in practice it's not used that way since you can't write to most
> directories on the system except ~ and /tmp and relatives.

I don't care about /tmp which is in UFS, I care about current directory.
Probably /tmp-prefix sensing code helps to solve this.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.pp.ru>