From:      "Mark B. Withers" <mwithers@one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPPoE -- Any Guru's out there ? --

Hey folks!

I'm having a little trouble getting PPPoE to work. I followed the
instructions to the letter of:

http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/pppoe.html

and could not get it to work. Whenever I cd to /etc/ppp and issue the
command :

# /usr/sbin/ppp

I get the following error message:

Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
Warning: Bad label in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf (line 16) - missing colon
Feb 10 09:54:00 arrakis ppp[670]: Warning: Bad label in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf (line 16) - missing colon

Here is a snippet of where the error message is referring to:

* Line numbers included for reference as I use vim with line numbering
enabled *

14 default:
15 # PPP over Ethernet
16 set device PPPoE:ep0:
17 set speed sync
18 set mru 1492
19 set mtu 1492
20 set ctsrts off
21
22 # monitor line quality
23 enable lqr

So as a result, I have tried a different approach to get this to work:

http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/dsl.html	--> then :
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ipfw.html	--> firewall

My dsl service is using an external modem/router which connects to my
first ethernet interface ep0 and configured ep0 using DHCP.

My ISP provider is separate from my DSL provider. I usually
authenticate to both the DSL and ISP providers through a web browser
to access the internet, thus I believe I need PPPoE instead of natd.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this assumption.

I wish to use the FreeBSD box as the gateway/firewall to my internal
network, but it has been very difficult to get PPPoE working if no
matter how many colons I add or remove from (above line 16) it does
not work. I have my kernel compiled with all the options the PPPoE
page (from DaemonNews) asked for. Is there a step I am missing there?

After I get PPPoE to work, I need to enable ep1 as the interface which
my internal network will use as a link to the internet. I have them
configured much like the example here:

ep0 Ip addr 10.196.xx.161 (assigned by) --> DHCP --> DSL modem/router

ep1 --> hub --> internal network ip 10.196.43.161 netmask
255.255.255.248 broadcast 10.196.43.167 (I figure I will not need more
ips than that which explains my netmask).

Any help would be appreciated. Particularly in helping me to get PPPoE
working or perhaps someone point me in the right direction as to
weather I need PPPoE or natd ?

I am assuming PPPoE because I use an external modem/router which plugs
into a hub (normally uplink) which allows dhcp for all connected
machines.

Maybe I need to abandon PPPoE and use natd instead?

Please help if you will,

Mark