Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 1996 07:55:57 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Andreas Kohout <shanee@rabbit.augusta.de>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions about compiling -current

Andreas Kohout wrote:
> yesterday I comppiled -current again and there are some questions:
>
> 1. while playing an Sun/NeXT audio data (and sometimes else) there is an
> output on the console: isa_dmastart: channel 1 busy
>
> Is this normal?

Dunno. I get this too.

> 2. while compiling there is an error at termcap:
>
> ex - /usr/src/share/termcap/termcap.src < /usr/src/share/termcap/reorder
>
> with an error. If I do the same on the shell than it works fine, a īmake
> all installī again run without errors.

This has been fixed now.

> 3. at the beginning of make world the script changes the permission from
> /var/mail. But myy smail need 1777 at /var/mail. Is there anything with my
> smail?
>
> rabbit:/root# ll /usr/local/bin/smail
> -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  241664 19 Dez 16:24 /usr/local/bin/smail*

Yes. Having your maildir world writable is a _huge_ security hole. Do you
have your own smail, or did you build it from ports? I believe the one in
/usr/ports/mail/smail is OK. change to that directory and type "make".
(put your smail source tarball in /usr/ports/distfiles first).

> 4. When should I compile -current? Every SNAP-Release or earlier?

Up to you. I do it about once a week if there have been enough changes.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key