Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2013 15:48:01 +0000
From:      "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mounting root from NFS via ROOTDEVNAME

Hi,

On Jan 28, 2013, at 16:23, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Remove the BOOTP_NFSROOT option, it tells the bootp/dhcp code to keep
> querying the server until a root path is delivered.  Without it, the
> ROOTDEVNAME option should get used (and I think even override a path
> from the server, if it delivers one).

no luck:

em4: link state changed to UP
Received DHCP Offer packet on em4 from 0.0.0.0 (accepted) (no root path)
Sending DHCP Request packet from interface em4 (XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX)
Received DHCP Ack packet on em4 from 0.0.0.0 (accepted) (no root path)
DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
Received DHCP Ack packet on em4 from 0.0.0.0 (accepted) (no root path)
DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255

The only visible difference is that the first "Received DHCP Ack packet" li=
ne is now printed only once, instead of twice as in the previous log.

Lars=