Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:10:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        Kelly Hendrix <kelly@slackwit.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error on xl0

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Jan writes:
>
> > If you've made changes to GENERIC, then you'll
> > lose them and/or confuse CVS. If you've copied
> > GENERIC to a new kernal config file and made the
> > changes to that, cvsup by default won't delete
> > that; however, changes to GENERIC won't be tracked
> > into your new kernel config.
>
> I've copied the configuration to my own configuration file, so
> that's not a problem, presumably.  The thing is, now I've changed
> one of the source files to redefine an internal parameter ... so how
> do I keep that change to that particular source file
> (/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h), and also make sure that it doesn't interfere
> with the standard source?

That, of course, depends. If your changes are a bugfix or a feature
enhancement then the simplest course may be to send-pr the diffs and get
them folded in to the main source. That means you've one less thing to
worry about looking after :-)

Otherwise, your options depend on how much source hackery you're
planning on performing. If you've just got a small number of diffs that
you'd like to apply then the line of least resistance may be to wrap
your invocation of cvsup with a script that sticks your local fixes in
place (that's what I do here). If you're planning on large-scale
changes, you'll probably want to look at running your own copy of the
CVS repository.

There's no convincing English-language argument that this sentence is true.