Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:35:50 -0400
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Start MySQL at system startup

> What file do I edit to make MySQL start when my system starts up? I know
> on my linux box it was /etc/rc.d/rc.local but that doesn't exist on
> FreeBSD.

 Hmmm. Not sure about your installation, but somewhere along the line I'm
pretty sure MySql automatically put the startup script on my system.

In FreeBSD 4+ this should go in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
Be sure to chmod +x the file as well. (my file is called mysql-server.sh)

====start snippet====
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
        start)
                if [ -x /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld ]; then
                        /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql > /dev/null
& && echo -n ' mysqld'
                fi
                ;;
        stop)
                /usr/bin/killall mysqld > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo -n '
mysqld'
                ;;
        *)
                echo ""
                echo "Usage: `basename $0` { start | stop }"
                echo ""
                exit 64
                ;;
esac