Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:46:51 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Perens Replies (was Ivan Leybovich)

At 02:03 PM 6/13/2001, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>Seems like he just admitted that the GPL is not free software after all !!! Free as in FreeBSD I mean.

GPLed software is not free software because it cannot be freely
reused for any purpose. It is, in fact, very much encumbered by
an onerous license that's rife with legalese.

Nor is GPLed software open source. Stallman says so explicitly on
his Web site and elsewhere.

Believe it or not, this is one point on which I actually agree with
Stallman. The GPL is clearly not open source because it violates point
#6 of the "Open Source Definition." It is expressly intended to
discriminate against a field of endeavor: the creation of commercial
software. It therefore does not qualify as an open source license.

Unfortunately, several of the board members of the "Open Source
Initiative" have strong vested interests in Linux companies or in projects
that create GPLed software. So, even though they are not disinterested
parties and should recuse themselves from any decision regarding
the matter, they list the GPL as one of their "approved" licenses.
This should change, since the GPL clearly does not meet the requirements.
By listing the GPL as an "open source" license, they both demonstrate
a conflict of interest and diminish their credibility -- especially with
the businesses they claim to want to win over.

--Brett Glass