Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:25:19 +0300
From:      Kostas Zorbadelos <kzorba@otenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Address pools and load balancing issues

Hello to everyone.
I am a newcomer to the list. I am evaluating the pf packet filter for
a few months now and I like very much what I see. I have a few
questions regarding address pools and load balancing. In the relevant
documentation [1] it is explicitly mentioned that methods other than
round-robin (bitmask, random, source-hash) work only if the address
pool is expressed as a CIDR network block. Also, if the address pool
is expressed as a table, then the only method allowed is round-robin.
In my setup this is a problem, since I have a pool of WWW servers and
I need the source-hash load balancing method where a specific client
connects to the same  web server (that has its http session for
instance). My pool of servers is not in a continuous network block, so
it cannot be expressed in a CIDR notation. Is there a way to overcome
this limitation? (sticky-address is not an option since it works only
as long as there are states for a client's connections)
Will these restrictions go away in a next version of pf? Ideally, I
would like to express all my pools as tables and have all the
different algorithms for load balancing available.

Thanks in advance and congratulations to all the people involved in pf
for the great work.

Kostas

[1] http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html

--
  Kostas Zorbadelos
  m@il contact: kzorba (at) otenet.gr

  Out there in the darkness, out there in the night
  out there in the starlight, one soul burns brighter
  than a thousand suns.