Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 20:07:18 -0800
From:      Terry Braun <tab@talking.com>
To:        ejs@bfd.com (Eric J. Schwertfeger)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Q: programming sockets source address?

Your message dated: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:40:46 PST

>> So far, my initial attempts to use bind() before connect() have been a
>> wash, as bind returns an errno of EADDRNOTAVAIL, regardless of which
>> address I'm using.  I was under the impression that bind could be used
>> before a connect to set the source address.  Is this wrong?  Is there a
>> correct way to do this (needs to be portable to Linux)?

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but if you want to listen on
a particular socket on you local machine, say on port 1520, this code
will work-

        bindname.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY);
	bindname.sin_family = AF_INET;
	bindname.sin_port = htons(1520);
	n = bind(sock, &bindname, sizeof(bindname));
\t
--------
Terry Braun                  tab@talking.com
Talking Networks, Inc.       510-525-6696