Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 00:36:07 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Andrew Maltsev <am@amsoft.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   simple way to alter maxproc/maxfiles

What about adding some options to /etc/rc.conf on a matter of subj? I
think it would be useful..

It may be done as a set of

#...
# Maximum number of processes in system (number or NO)
#
kern_maxproc=NO
#...

or as a more general interface like

# Kernel tuning. Place a list of flags to sysctl(8) you want to set here.
#
kernel_tune="maxproc maxfiles ip_forw"
#
kernel_tune_maxproc="kern.maxproc=800"
kernel_tune_maxfiles="kern.maxfiles=2000"
kernel_tune_ip_forw="net.inet.ip.forwarding=1"

I like the first way more. Because it's simplier and it's not
a problem to add whatever specific tuning required to some
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/...sh for more advanced user anyway.

For generic use a set of kern.{maxproc,maxfiles,maxfilesperproc} is
enough IMHO.

What do you think? Should I send my rc/rc.conf patches to be reviewed?

Andrew.