Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 14:46:47 -0500
From:      dh2@netwalk.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound card recomendations for FreeBSD

Snob Art Genre:
 |On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, Stan Brown wrote:
 |> 	I plan on buying a sound card for my FreebSD machine in the near
 |> 	future. Anyone got any recomendations on whats well supported/works
 |> 	well?
 |
 |My SB AWE32 card has never given me trouble.

     I'll second that one.  I have a Sound Blaster 32 non-PnP and it works
very well for me, in all OSs.

     If you want good all-around sound support in all operating systems,
IMO you can't do better than a Creative Labs Sound Blaster 32 or AWE32.
Full SB32/AWE32, Sound Blaster 16, and Sound Blaster compatibility.
Virtually any OS driver or DOS program that has any level of sound support
at all (above PC speaker, that is :-) supports at least one of these
feature sets.

     The only case I think you might be tempted toward another sound card
might be if you want to give up generally good all-around support in favor
of full duplex audio under FreeBSD specifically (for MBone, Internet Voice,
etc.).  As of yet, the FreeBSD soundblaster sound drivers don't support
full-duplex PCM.  The GUS sound driver does (other cards may as well).

     URLs you might be interested in surfing:

          http://www.edu.isy.liu.se/~d93jesno/awe32.html
          http://www.compart.fi/~mhjelt/awe/

In particular check out the "Information About the AWE32 Soundcard Family"
link on the first URL.  Personally, I've got a SB32 non-PnP.  It's got the
somewhat quieter Vibra chipset (still fully SB16 compatible), and I've
slapped a couple cheap 1Meg SIMMs on it.  4X the default mem of a std AWE32
for less money, and full AWE32/SB16/SB compatibility

     BTW, FreeBSD 2.2 and 3.0-current have support for the EMU8K Wavetable
chipset on the AWE32/SB32 which gets you great sounding MIDIs/MODs/etc.
The Sound Blaster 16 and other drivers support the SB16 side of the card
for PCM/etc.

     Whatever sound card you decide upon, you might want to look at a
non-PnP version.  I think the GUS is the only card that has Plug-and-Pray
support in FreeBSD now.  From what I've heard, PnP cards can be a real pain
to get working (with PnP support in the OS or not).

     For further questions, you might follow-up with multimedia@freebsd.org.
You'll probably get better response there.

Randall Hopper