Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:37:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        janne <blomqvist_jan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how much ram can 3.4 handle

> we uppgraded hardware from p166 250mb ram to p3 800 1000 mb ram, and
> now we have problem when we run our application it eats all memory
> after approx 10our and display it as inactive (when we use "top").Then
> the hardware totaly crasch.Can 3.4 handle that 1G ram memory.

3.4 can handle that kind of memory as far as I know, because for a while I
think ftp.freebsd.org/ftp.cdrom.com were running 3.x with 2 or 4GB of
ram. If you're getting crashes, first I would suspect bad ram. Also, the
"inactive" memory thing is normal. It is what's "supposed" to happen. That
just means that the ram marked inactive hasn't been marked "free" yet, but
isn't currently being used by any programs. That memory can still be used
for other programs, and some memory monitors for my windowmanager even
consider "inactive" as being unused.

Ken