Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 08:51:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      matt@megaweapon.zigg.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bin/9285: pw strips comments from group file

>Number:         9285
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       pw strips comments from group file
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE i386
>Environment:

2.2.8-STABLE, last cvsupped Jan 1, 1999

Using pw userdel on accounts usually rewrites the groupfile.  While
all data is intact, comments are stripped, as illustrated in the
next morning's report the day after I issued "pw userdel wedding":

Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 02:00:01 -0500 (EST)
From: System Account <root>

-- SNIP --

Backup passwd and group files:
-- SNIP --
megaweapon group diffs:
1,2d0
< #	$Id: group,v 1.13.2.4 1998/09/13 23:10:08 brian Exp $
< #
40d37
< wedding:*:30001:

-- SNIP --

pw itself does not seem to fail due to comments in the group file.

>How-To-Repeat:

Add comments to the group file, then run pw with (theoretically)
any command that requires modification of the group file.

>Fix:

No workaround is known.

pw should be patched to leave comments in the group file alone.
This is regrettably beyond my skill for now.