Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 11:04:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Daniel Tourde <daniel.tourde@mail.bip.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/42555: FreeBSD 4.6.2 + XFree 4.2 + DHCP + Firewall extrem rules = problems!!!! (startx doesn't work)

>Number:         42555
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 4.6.2 + XFree 4.2 + DHCP + Firewall extrem rules = problems!!!! (startx doesn't work)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Freshly installed machine (Normal system + XFree)
I have a DHCP connection and I want to have strong firewall rules, therefore I chose "extrem" rules.
Once XFree 86 configured and the machine rebooted (directly at the first trial, without ANY customisation of my own), when I type startx as root, I obtain a strange message from a module of Xfree 86 (I am under windows and I don't remember the name, sorry. Something like xfree86io) telling me that it cannot access /dev/io....

If I switch back to normal firewall rules, then startx starts Xfree as root but if I try it as a normal user, it says "Cannot open /var/log/XFree86.log.0"

It seems also that the system does not really recognize the name I get from the DHCP server (myname.myprovider.com) and it complains about that when I quit X11.
>How-To-Repeat:
 See the full description:

Install FreeBSD 4.6.2 (basic system + XFree 86)
Configure XFree 86 (mouse = Auto)
Network: DHCP
Firewall : extrem

reboot. Log as root and type "startx". X never starts.